Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions | Video on TED.com

Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions | Video on TED.com

I have never claimed to be a smart girl. In most cases, I am extremely ignorant of a lot of things around me, and I have lived most of my life contained in a little bubble, a condition of most of the romantic relationships I have been in. I used to think I was developing into a pretty interesting person, and since then, that growth has been stunted. Life happens - what the fuck can you do? You look around at all the pieces laying around, gather up the good ones, and sweep the rest of that nonsense the hell out of the way.

I am trying to be a more informed person. I am trying to shut the fuck up and listen. To see what I have missed. Because for years I have hidden and dulled my brain. And I do not like it.

I am trying to embrace a more analytical, thoughtful, and poised thought process as of late. I used to be a passionate, bleeding heart; I always went by how things felt. While my opinions haven't really changed, my approach to them is. I once felt an obligation to be very PC, and lately, well.... I haven't. I just want to know the facts, and I'll make up my own mind, thank you.  I have found myself shifting very much to listening to others, without necessarily offering an opinion.

Now then, getting to the fucking point. The video above was one of those things I listened to, and took in. As a person without religion, I am always interested in the subject. I found his viewpoint to be based too much in observation, I suppose, since it was a lot of "Isn't it apparent this is wrong?" but I also enjoyed it in its simplicity - really, isn't it, most of the time at least, readily apparent that something is morally wrong?

A friend of mine suggested I take an ethics class. I just need to read some good books this summer, and use this brain in my head for the first time in years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment