Thursday, April 8, 2010

Just don't tell anybody, and it'll all be okay.

Yesterday, on Twitter, a group of #tweeps got into a very interesting (albeit infuriating) discussion about Constance McMillen. This discussion, which quickly degenerated, simply reminded me of how narrow minded people can really be. I have never thought of myself as any more open minded than the guy next to me, but apparently, that is not the case. Here are my thoughts on Constance McMillen's case...


As I understand it, she wanted to take a girl to prom and she intended to dress in a tux. She has been openly gay since the eighth grade.  


If we were talking about any other attribute to discriminate against this girl, everyone would be outraged. But, because we are talking about her sexual preference (terminology I loathe) it somehow is not only okay, but discussed at great length. Perhaps it is because some people believe that her orientation is a decision, while others believe it is genetic/scientific. Personally, I fail to see the relevence of the cause of her homosexuality - the fact is, she likes girls. 


The school eventually decided to cancel prom as opposed to allowing these two girls to go together. As we know, alternate proms were made available to both groups, and exclusions were made. The point was raised that if she had just kept the aspect of being gay to herself, there would not have been an issue, but I fail to see that as a solution. Isn't that the exact policy in the military? You know, the one they are trying to get rid of?   


High school is supposed to be a try out for the real world. As I recall my high school experience, I recall being picked on for being different, but not to excess, and it did prepare me for the reality of adulthood (in that way). What is the lesson we are teaching these students? Sure, everyone needs to learn that everyone isn't going to be nice to you, but this is above and beyond.


In my mind, the school should have treated it the same as a male female relationship - you know, stopping inappropriate touching during slow dances, making sure no one's getting felt up, and so on. I don't understand how the sex nor sexual orientation of these two students required any action from the school at all. But then again, I happen to believe that gay people are entitled to equal rights. What do I know?



No comments:

Post a Comment